Thursday 11 August 2011

Opening lines from Books


I keep promising that I will read more books, but somehow I never get round to doing it.  I think I need to make a list of books I want to read and work my way through them.  Any favourites that you'd recommend?

These are some of the best opening lines from books - do you recognise them?

"It is a truth universally acknowledged,  that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" - Pride and Prejudice

"Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much" - Harry Potter

"Clare: It's hard being left behind.  I wait for Henry, not knowing where he is, wondering if he's okay.  It's hard to be the one who stays" - The Time Traveler's Wife

"All children, except one, grow up" - Peter Pan

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen" - 1984

"If you are interested in stories with happy endings, you would be better off reading some other book" - A series of Unfortunate Events

"Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realised it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were" - Gone With The Wind.

(via Stylist)


2 comments:

Carolynn Cecilia said...

If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth.
-Catcher in the Rye

Kirsteen said...

Aahh, another classic I haven't got round to reading. I must make that list!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...